Thursday, April 16, 2009

gloopgloopgloop

Rapunzel, Rapunzel,

you have the most...
...random bits of leftover hair extension gloop stuck to your scalp?

Joy of joys, indeed, it's true.

Yesterday was interesting to say the least. I was working for a client I shot with last time I was in HK but this time they decided to fly in an american stylist/photographer couple/team. From New York. Actually, she was originally from hk, he didn't tell me where he was originally from. This is the thing I've noticed about people who live in new york. Since most people aren't originally from there, somehow it seems permissible to tell people that you're 'from new york' even if you've only lived there for a few years. After two months,I could even get away with 'from new york' while abroad.

OK, its great to associate yourself with one of (if not the) most amazing cities in the world. Cool. But when you're not ACTUALLY from there and you not only brag 'from new york' but also use it as a platform for condescension towards local crews while working abroad, I think it's a disgrace. Example: Photographer yesterday making chimp jokes, bitching about the rented camera (why he didnt bring his own i'm not sure) and making comments under his breath about how shitty it is to work in hk. Coming 'from new york' I would have expected a little more cultural sensitivity. Of course the hk crew got him back after he left by bitching about how a reputable hk crew couldve got the job done without such ridiculous delays. I'm not trying to judge either hk-ers or nyc-ers but make an observation on the interactions amongst the crew on set and the importance of cultural understanding. I've often seen an effortless melding of influences and cultures on set so it was interesting to see them clash so profoundly, and drew my attention to how surprisingly rare such an event really is in the fashion industry.

No comments: