Sunday, April 5, 2009

hello again

The past few weeks have been nothing if not a period of magic and adventure. For starters, I said 'peace out' to my Brooklyn neighborhood
and 'hello, darling!' to my UES neighborhood (and yoga only a 10 minute walk away!).

On the way to a casting I ran into my friend Karla, whom I met in HK, and she introduced me to Ethiopian food:curries and vegetables on thin crepe-like (but sort of sour) bread, which you eat by picking up with other pieces of the bread. I've tried a lot of international foods, but this was a first!

My dear friend and former roommate and subletter Lauren just got back into town from Australia via LA and we hit up the Hell's Kitchen outdoor flea market as well as my other dear old friend, Beacon's Closet:Between Karla and Lauren and Tom, my wish for friends with which to explore the city is well on its way to being fulfilled.


In other exciting news, which I restrained myself from blogging about earlier, I'm going back to HK!!! I leave on the 13th for a one-day direct booking and am planning on staying a few extra days for a mini holiday and a chance to explore the city in something other than blistering heat and humidity! I could not be more excited! Add on some thrifting, for the first time in a lonnngg time, and you have one happy camper. Tom and I also stumbled upon Metropolis thrift store in the East Village, which houses THE most extensive selection of vintage leather boots and shoes I've ever laid eyes on. While in the EV we had lunch at Quintessence, which serves vegan raw food. It was some of the best food I've ever had ('live' hummous, veggie crackers, nut-cheesey broccoli...just...wow)

New York is clearly full of many best-of-the-bests. And a relatively easy place to eat vegan. Which is what I've begun to do. I was a pesco-vegetarian for a long time (vegetarian, but ate fish), but never really ate eggs due to a childhood allergy, and have had to go off dairy because uncultured dairy makes me nauseous and cultured diary makes my skin break out. With the advent of Spring (noticeably warmer weather which has freed me-at least temporarily-from the confines of my knee-length down parka) I embarked on a three-day spring cleansing juice fast and then...I did it. I started eating vegan. I still wear vintage leather, but no longer consume any animal products. And so far, my body loves it. It's practically jumping out of its extraordinarily happy skin with joy.

No comments: