Monday, August 25, 2008

WELCOME TO SINGAPORE


It may just be my eyes doing funny things after staring at the airport screens for too long (see above), but I feel like there isn't as much to see in Singapore as somewhere like HK or NYC. Hong Kong felt like a city filled to the brim with energy, chaos, color, culture, and inspiration. I'd been warned that Singapore was a lot more sterile, but I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Sterile is certainly the word. Everything starts to look the same along the main 'strip,' Orchard Road, aka shopping mecca for the masses. There's something unsettling about so many new buildings in one place.

This is going to take some getting used to. However, considering the Malay, Muslim, Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese, Western, Japanese, Curry, and Rice & Porridge restaurants which await just down the street (and I mean literally, less than 2 minutes away) from my Singaporean Abode, and the Pure Yoga studio a short walk away (yes, I'm already a member), I think I'll be just fine. Since I've already mentionned the Abode, a few more details seem prudent; 1 supercool room-mate who is a fellow west-coaster and with whom I share a NYC agency (Elite), 1 very nice and hotel-smelling bathroom, 1 small walk-in closet, 1 extra bed. Step outside the bounds of our master suite and there are 6 other roommates, common room, and kitchen to be found. Not too shabby. A few ants in the kitchen cupboards, but apparently no roaches or mould.
WELCOME TO SINGAPORE. ENJOY YOUR STAY. thank you, I'm quite sure I will.




No comments: